Saturday, July 26, 2008

Fighting the Freak Out

We're having car trouble. This is something that usually causes me to freak out. Like, really freak out. Tears and moping and stressing and the whole deal. How am I going to get to work? How are we going to pay for the repairs? I'm going to have to get a second job! We're going to end up begging on the corner! It's really pretty pathetic.

When my husband let me know about our car trouble today, of course I started to go into freak out mode. But then something interesting happened. Something inside of me said, "This reaction is in direct contradiction to Scripture." But...but.... "No buts. It directly contradicts Scripture. Are you sure you want to do this?"

Well, when you put it like that...no, I guess I don't. It's difficult, but I am doing my best to fight the freak out.

Do not be anxious about anything, but in everything by prayer and supplication with thanksgiving let your requests be made known to God. And the peace of God, which surpasses all understanding, will guard your hearts and your minds in Christ Jesus. Finally, brothers, whatever is true, whatever is honorable, whatever is just, whatever is pure, whatever is lovely, whatever is commendable, if there is any excellence, if there is anything worthy of praise, think about these things. What you have learned and received and heard and seen in me -- practice these things, and the God of peace will be with you. -- Philippians 4:6-9

No comments: